Today we are re-visiting a favorite recipe of ours Cheaters Chicken Soup, as we’ve spent so much of the month sick with the crud and honestly when everyone is doing just enough to make it through the day, no one wants to cook or have heavy meals but chicken soup is love and makes everyone feel better. We purchased roasted chickens from Whole Foods, took off some of the meat we wanted to eat and the rest, along with the bones, skin and juices from the container all went in the pot and in a short time the house smelled wonderful and we were all sipping steaming mugs of soup. Healing stock for our sick bodies!
- The carcasses, skin, leftover meat and juices from 3 roasted chickens
- 1 large onion, roots removed but you can leave the skin on
- 1 head of garlic, sliced in half to expose the cloves, skin left on
- 3-4 carrots, scrubbed and skin left on
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 TBS. apple cider vinegar
- a few sprigs of cilantro and/or parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Place everything in a large stockpot and cover with cold water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil remove the lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 1 to 1.5 hours. Add salt & pepper to taste. Allow the soup to cool a bit so that it’s easier to handle then strain it through a colander or sieve and discard the solids.
After the soup has cooled completely I package it in freezer bags in two cup portions so that I can easily pull it for recipes or for a nice cup of tasty soup.