Chile is often on the menu at our home and this Yucatan Green Chili Saute from Melissa Joulwan's book Well Fed Weekends, has become a favorite! We love that this is a quick onepot meal which includes protein and vegetables. Even better, it's delicious freshly made or as leftovers. Of course in our home, no good recipe can be left as found so we tweaked this one to our taste by mostly amping up the heat. We also made this in the Instant Pot instead of on the stovetop. Both are easy but we're in love with our Instant Pot and use is whenever possible. Great thing about chili, it's easily tweaked to your individual taste. Check out both Melissa's original recipe and our adaption and make one or both, you won't be disappointed.
- 1/2 TBS. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
- 2/3 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 TBS. red wine vinegar
- 1/3 c. raisins
- 1 head cauliflower, shredded or riced
- 8 oz. roasted hatch chilies (We use fresh but can use canned. Can also use diced green chilies)
- 1/4 c. dry roasted pumpkin seeds (shelled) when serving
Cumin - lime sauce (have all ingredients at room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 TBS. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/3 cup avacado oil or light tasting olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- 1-2 small fresh jalapenos, (seeds and ribs removed if you want less heat)
Set the Instant Pot to saute and add the olive oil, heat until warmed. Add the onion and saute until golden. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the ground beef, salt, cumin, paprkika, pepper and oregano and brown the meat, breaking it up as it cooks. Once browned, add the tomato paste and red wine, mix well. Add the raisins, cauliflower and chilies. Mix well. Lock the lid on the Instant Pot, close valve and set high pressure for 10 minutes. Use natural pressure release.
While the chili is cooking, prepare the cumin-lime sauce.
Place all the ingredients in a flask, and using an immersion blender, blend until thick and creamy. Or, place all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth and thick.
Serve the chili with a drizzle of the cumin-lime sauce and sprinke on some pumpkin seeds for a little crunch.